Popular Posts

Individual Presentation - Why I am suited to my ideal job...

Many of you will be doing individual presentations between now and December. Here is a top level response that I had from a student at my previous school asked to present on Why they were suited to their ideal job...

Some people have a clear idea from very early on in their childhood about what they want to do when they 'grow up'. This can often focus on the heroes of children's television: a Policeman, a Fireman or whatever 'Sportacus' is.

For many, and I include myself in this, it is a longer process of appraising what I enjoy and am good at in school and then trying to link these skills with a career I think I would enjoy. As I've just been through '6th Form Options' at the schools and local colleges, it is something that I've been clarifying recently.

I'm a creative person and I love my maths and physics lessons; as I browsed through career options  looking at where I could use my skills, my heart quickened and brain began to tick over at the idea of becoming an Engineer. It seems to tick all the boxes for me:

The calculations of weight and mass and the complex formulas to challenge me.

The ability to move something from the depths of my imagination, to paper and then eventually realising the construction in front of my eyes.

The development of relationships and collaborative work between the 'creative team' and 'the client'.

These aspects are what makes school enjoyable for me each day: Challenge, Creativity and Interaction.

So I am sure the job suits me but why do I suit the job?

Throughout my school life I've always been focused and dedicated. Even if a subject did not catch my imagination, I wanted to perfect it and prove to myself I could do anything I put my mind to. But I suppose my 'unknown interest' in engineering came from the simple red and yellow building blocks in Primary School.

I would sit for hours perfecting a building, balancing weight and strength of a structure until I got it right. I would try something, test it and then evaluate it's success and if necessary, start again. These skills are something that would bring success in Engineering. I recognise that the creation of something is a process and that creating and developing a project will need reworking to a client's vision.

Each day is a different day and this variety is something I've learned to cope with. Initially GCSE moved at a pace that could often be frustrating. Learning something new and complex one day and to then be expected to understand and build on this to illustrate something more complex the next day was at times intimidating. But I realise that challenges are the way to engage the mind. This brings me daily excitement: whether it is the challenge of understanding and then applying formula in maths or interpreting data in physics.

Finally, the collaborative work. This is something that I have always been involved in throughout my school life. From school councils to group work in the class, it has been something I've thrived on. I am able to recognise where and when input is needed and take a step back if I recognise that someone has more expertise to lead a group but I am also prepared to step forward and shape a task in order to make sure it is completed by the deadline.

To conlcude, although Engineering is a new discipline to me, I believe I have the skills needed to become successful in this career. I'm dedicated, evaluative and thorough in my work and able to take constructive feedback to develop a constant focus on improvement.

I leave you with a quotation that sums up my enthusiasm for my career:

Engineers are not mere technicians and should not approve or lend their name to any project that does not promise to be beneficent to man and the advancement of civilization.

Thank You
Share this article :
 

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. English Advice from an Accidental Teacher - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger